What We Do
What Does a School Nurse Do?
- Administers care for all ill or injured students and staff that occur during the school day.
- Identifies children who may need to be excluded from school for health reasons.
- Screens all students for vision and hearing according to district guidelines.
- Maintains health records on all students. Validates the immunization and physical exam records as being complete.
- Formulates and implements individualized health care plans for students with special needs.
- Communicates special health needs of students to appropriate staff with parental permission.
- Administers prescription and/or over-the-counter medications with written authorization by both the physician and the parents.
- Provides health teaching and counseling for students, families and staff.
- Implements the district health education curriculum through formal classroom instruction.
- Coordinates emergency management plans.